George Row Flat
London, United Kingdom
Rutherford Harvey Architecture LLP
The George Row flat comprises the full first floor of a Grade II listed chain makers workshop in Bermondsey that was operated as an architect’s office from 1986 and then converted to a residence in 1996. As one of the last remaining workshops that supported the shipping trade associated with the nearby spice warehouses, the Grade II listing relates primarily to the original brick façade of the building rather than the interior layout which has been altered many times since its original construction in 1840.
The central purpose of the renovation is to open up the kitchen space to create an open plan, kitchen, living, dining space and improved functional flow of the southern end of the property whilst increasing the amount of natural light available to the central hallway and entrance lobby. The northern part of the flat is reconfigured from a one bedroom master suite to a two bedroom including ensuite arrangement.
In addition the amount of storage space is doubled making use of previous under-utilised space, new drop ceilings are included through-out to improve the lighting and sound insulation and new high quality finishes and fixtures are installed to complete the contemporary feel and flow of the spaces complemented by the historical elements of the listed building.